Sunday, December 12, 2010

Still Around.

    Well we have been without internet in our new barracks for the last couple of months, so that is why my blog was a ghost town. Today I returned to my room to find 10 routers available when I opened my mac to listen to some music. Not much has changed here really other then training is almost over and I have less then a week until i get to head back to Kentucky/Ohio for two weeks. It seems strange to say that i've been away from home training for the past 9 months. Though I do look forward to my duty station and deployment. As odd as it may sound deployment is actually something I am excited to do early next year. After going through training and being mentored by the Sergeants who train us, I have actually got the urge to check out what they all say they enjoyed the most about being in the Army.
     Now as much as I am excited I would venture to guess my wife is much less interested in me going into combat.  Along with my mother, father and rest of family who say they understand its part of the job,  I still don't think they like the idea. I can't say that i blame them, hell I hated to see my buddies from high school get deployed. After all the things you read in the papers and watch on television you would think that going to the middle east was the worst thing that could happen to someone.  When in retrospect it really isn't the worst possible thing. Though we have lost many amazing soldiers in the campaign, the ratio for casualties is still not high. Though enough of the disheartening information of my excitement for deployment (my wife reads this lol).
    Football, well to say the least this season has been dismal for the Bengals and nothing shy of mediocre for the Buckeyes. I have come to hopes that Cinci will not win another game so that we can steal Cam Newton in the 2011 draft. I think that Carson Palmer is fizzled out and can no longer lead his team to do great things. As far as Ohio State its another one loss season and another season not getting to play for a National Title. Though beating Michigan again this year was a nice little treat. I look forward to next season and see what the fall has in store for my teams
   Basketball, well being a LeBron fan I was surprised to see him make the trip down to south beach to join forces with D-Wade and Bosh. Though it wasn't a bad move it took the team 20 or so games to get their act together and now they are finally winning consistently. Though I am a firm believer in Kevin Durant and the thought of the Thunder winning the west and eventually the whole playoffs. I like to see the Lakers playing poorly this early in the season also, especially considering one of my best friends is a huge fan lol. Down on the college level it is good to see my Buckeyes riding strong in second place behind a strong Duke team. Considering Sully dropped 40 points the other night, its safe to say I have high hopes for this season and a long run come March. Drop down a state and you have Calipari coming up short in a couple games trying to keep the Cats in the top 25. With three freshman leading the way its never easy to beat teams who have the experience on them. Though I still expect to see them make some noise in March, I don't expect them to reach the final four sadly.
    It feels great to sit here in my bed and actually be able to write again. I got in trouble the other day for wasting time in class and my SSG had me write a thousand word essay on why wasting time is a bad thing. After i turned it in to her she asked my why I wasn't writing instead of in the Army. It made me laugh and think of how I would like to publish a book before I die. It's actually on my bucket list (which ive misplaced). I wrote more when i was 15-16 then I have in the past five years. It's actually a bit of a disappointment that I have pursued a writing "career" with a stronger passion. If I find myself with any spare time while I am in Afghanistan I have decided I will dedicate the majority of it to writing. If I find myself without internet access to blog I plan on sending my wife flash drives of blogs though I am sure the delay in the mailing system to and from the middle east will be a bit extreme. At least I will be able to write and not completely fall behind like I have without internet over these past two months.

Well its time to hit the rack. Remember to always before yourself, and be Great.

~Brent

No comments:

Post a Comment