Monday, September 20, 2010

To Save a Life..

   We had an "assembly" on suicide prevention this evening and for once it actually wasn't a complete waste of time. We watched a smaller budget film called " To Save a Life". Basically it summed up the child hood of a high school basketball start set to go to college( ironically he was going to Louisville lol). It showed him being saved from a car by his best friend, who was then struck by the car and severely damaged his leg, which would leave him with a limp for the rest of his life. Slowly as Jake the protagonist in the film got older and made his way to the basketball court his friendship dwindled to not talking to his old best friend. During their senior year the best friend came to school, he walked down the hallway with a pistol, fired three rounds into the air before ending his own life. While this took place the protagonist happened to be standing there. It went to to have Jake the main character realize there was more to life then just being the high school hero. He took a fellow student down on his self and turned his life a full 180 and gave him a new light to live by. To sum it up the movie finished with a strong message or so it left with me that we should never take life for granted. I know during my teenage years and even my younger years there were people who I could have and should have treated with more respect. You look back on your past and realize that nobody deserves to be treated different then the next person despite their differences. Everyone has their own flaws they usually hide under a mask of deception. To simply put it, usually the more antagonising someone is towards others the larger their personal issues are. I realize now maybe the flaws i saw in myself I would try to pick on other people to change my outlook on the situation. If I could take back all of the negatives things i have done and said in my past I wouldn't think twice about doing it. I know many of the people in my platoon won't take away anything from this movie because they see it as 2 hours of their time they lost. I see it as an eye opener and a rude awaking for some who won't admit they have issues being heartless and almost barbaric to people sometimes. Granted I say this as I myself am not perfect and plan on working on changing the way i conduct myself towards people. You only have one life to live and there is no reason not to live it to the fullest without hurting others. These are some core values i hope to instill in my children one day, so the sooner i turn my wicked ways around the better off I will be. It also makes me want to look into helping with suicide prevention. There is no reason someone should be so down on themselves the last resort they have is to take their own life. I would trade all of my free time to helping someone decide that ending their life is NEVER going to be the right answer. I hope other people were encouraged in the same way, and for the ones who already help with suicide prevention, Kudos to you.
    I also was inspired by a youth minister in the movie to want to partake in some public speaking. I know I have the charisma to get in front of a group conveying messages to change lives. Being so blessed with the life I have had and continue to live, I would like to help others realize their lives are to precious. Of course if anyone is interested in helping people feel free to get in touch with me. I plan on working on some things this weekend to put this idea into motion. Of course I won't expect anyone to dedicate all of their time to this, but if you have some free time and would like to make a difference that would be awesome. I look forward to changing someones views on life and how they can enjoy every aspect of it even with the negative times.

I would like everyone to think of something whenever they are down or feeling lost.
" I am Great".....After all you possess every tool needed to Be Great everyday of your life.


so with my signing out I say

Be Great!
~Brent

1 comment:

  1. Hi, you have a great site.Have some thing in common, was station in Ft Knox,after i got out of MP school.I was sent to Kaiserslautern.164 MP Co, all we ever did was pull security for Ord,Was mail clerk, drove to Miesau every day , mailI was trying to find an German blog, knew a woman in Haptstuhl, worked at the snack- bar,May be dead by now,If you get time can get back to me.They tranfered 164 to Alsk, was'nt cold enought in K-T
    thanks
    Fred Mitchell riobravo30@aol.com

    ReplyDelete